Author Topic: June 6th Game News - Scent Death  (Read 4027 times)

Shades of Grey

• Refugee
June 6th Game News - Scent Death
« on: June 06, 2006, 01:40:29 AM »

From the news page:

As temperatures rise across the city, the undead begin to detect and follow the rotting scent of distant zombie hordes and piled bodies. (The 'Scent' tree has been rearranged to accomodate this new skill.)

The new zombie skill is "Scent Death" and it appears to have been placed at the beginning of the scent tree.  In other words, it is now the scent skill which you need to buy first.  Can someone test whether the already-purchased scent skills stop working until you buy Scent Death?  I foolishly bought it before I could test it.

I'll report back when I figure out what it does.

Harvey Carleson: Too bad that a certain group  thinks they have the right to go handing out orders to everyone
Cowboy Up: Harvey: Shut up. No one is ordering anything

ShadesOfGrey's profile

Shades of Grey

• Refugee
Re: June 6th Game News - Scent Death
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 01:51:35 AM »
In place of the usual body count message, I now see this:

There are forty-one dead bodies here. Twenty-one of them smell strange.

Any guesses as to what that means?  Also, it's worth noting that you only need to purchase Scent Death in order to buy Scent Trail.  Scent Fear is no longer a prerequisite.
Harvey Carleson: Too bad that a certain group  thinks they have the right to go handing out orders to everyone

ShadesOfGrey's profile

laserlight

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 01:56:49 AM »
Any guesses as to what that means?
A count of revivifying corpses? Perhaps this gives the human-oriented zombie a clue as to which areas are revive points.

Also, it's worth noting that you only need to purchase Scent Death in order to buy Scent Trail.  Scent Fear is no longer a prerequisite.
Oh, okay. My character is currently a human, and I was confused as to where exactly scent death came into the picture. When you pointed this out, I realised that the entire tree has been shifted. Eyes playing tricks on me :)

McDave

• Anti-Spam Group
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 02:00:43 AM »
Yep, as laserlight said its an indication of revivifying corpses.

I would love to know what the other part of the skill means, and how it works though:

Zombie can sense the largest nearby group of zombies and corpses.

Some sort of asterisk on the largest group in the 3x3 square? The groans from the largest hoard specially marked?

sluutthefeared

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 02:13:19 AM »
There's apparently a "Scent Death" button which gave me this message when clicked.
"A thick pall of decay carries from two blocks to the north and one to the west."

And there was a group of zombies there.
Like everything else it's completely inane.

McDave

• Anti-Spam Group
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 02:28:35 AM »
There's apparently a "Scent Death" button which gave me this message when clicked.
"A thick pall of decay carries from two blocks to the north and one to the west."

And there was a group of zombies there.

Ah yes! I hadn't noticed that. Just tested and it works. Well, I guess we've already worked out the intricate workings of this incredible new skill.  :toot:

keichix

• Regular
  • Bounty hunter (100+/3)
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:18:51 AM »
What does this add to the Groan?  ???

McDave

• Anti-Spam Group
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 04:39:11 AM »
What does this add to the Groan?  ???

Nothing, that was just me speculating.

The only thing I can see this adding to the zombie experience is to find somewhere 'safe' to rest for the night.

Snuffleuff

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 04:41:12 AM »
I'm reposting what I just wrote over on the Feral Undead forum:

Yeah, you can tell how many corpses in a pile are actually revived instead of napping zambahs. I passed a revive point and got something like,"There are 35 dead bodies here. 22 of them smell strange" - meaning, they are revived humans waiting to stand up. I guess it might be useful to be able to glance at a huge mound of corpses and tell how many are on our side, but really it's kinda meh. I did get some use out of the Scent bit, by following my nose to a pack of 15 zombies outside a PD. They hadn't gotten inside yet, but it was easier to find them as a large group.

On reflection, this could help pre-groan stage. Right now, we only hear the groaning AFTER the break-in, and zombies come from all around. Scent allows us to identify where the big masses of zombies are BEFORE the break-in, so we can wander over and join in, in preparation for feasting.

I don't think it is the uber-cool, "Make zombies really hip and attract more players" skill we've been hoping for, but on the bright side, at least it's better than radios!!

I was thinking - what I really wish we'd get is an extension of infected bite, something like Plague Bite, that would stick to a human and pass on to other humans he came in contact with. That would be phenomenal in causing huge shifts in the game, with healthy humans trying to ID and avoid plague humans, and masses of plague humans being locked out of safehouses. The sheer carnage would be worth seeing, not to mention the undoubtedly fascinating mathematics of watching how the plagues would spread around the city.
I've seen a bear do things, well... even things that even a bear wouldn't do.

Edith Bauer

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 05:39:49 AM »
This in no way balances the powered searches that harmanz got.

I can't see much use for this at all.  New zambahz will still want full claws, lurching gait and angle grab before this.  While young, following groans is still superior to buying this skill.

Bah!
Cheerleader for the Drunken Dead

Gunther herrman

• Regular
  • Peekaboo!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 05:48:52 AM »
Well, I guess it will help the ferals locate hordes to tag along to... I'm sure that it is like the feeding groan skill: looks harmless until the RRF figures out how to use it.
It's like NexusWar. YOU. WILL. DIE.
[18:50] <~AnimeSucks> sam has nothing to do with anything
[/URL

Shades of Grey

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 09:41:29 AM »
Well, I guess it will help the ferals locate hordes to tag along to... I'm sure that it is like the feeding groan skill: looks harmless until the RRF figures out how to use it.

Not really.  I just used it near Caiger, and when I followed the scent all I found was a pile of 9 bodies outside some fire station. 

BTW, for 9 bodies I got the message "A strong smell of decay drifts from ___".  Can anyone find out what is needed to upgrade to a "thick pall"?  Will more bodies do the trick or are standing zombies required?

ShadesOfGrey's profile

keichix

• Regular
  • Bounty hunter (100+/3)
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 03:31:37 PM »
You know what's cool? It works when you are alive too.  :D

Michelle Sim

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »
You know what's cool? It works when you are alive too.  :D

That is not cool! Survivors do not need any more advantages.

Nuge

• Regular
  • Zombarchy-Pro brains, Anti Headshot
    • Drunken Dead
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 05:22:29 AM »
That is not cool! Survivors do not need any more advantages.
Can anyone else confirm if scent death works when you've been revived?