Author Topic: ZL Rapsheets  (Read 13082 times)

Astinos87

• ZHU
  • Regular
Re: ZL Rapsheets
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »
By with you you mean we won't actually have to do any work, right?  Just cheer you on from the sidelines yeah? :P

Dibs!

In Memory of Athair Bas.  NEX!

Visible_One

• Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 05:35:24 PM »
Um I think that's like 80% of the reason we're doing it.
Oh, right, right.
I don't know much about wiki stuff, and I wasn't around for the discussion, so I kinda missed all that.  :)
Quote from: Karloth_vois
Turing test be damned. I'd buy wine from a robot.
The hunter:

The eater:

The killer:

MarcusCaesar

• Regular
  • Chief Officer in Charge of Roleplay
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
I'm pretty decent with MediaWiki templates/code/etc but I'd say the biggest prob here is automating as much of the input end as possible. ZL updates are already a fuckin chore; if there was some kind of PHP form or whatnot that could be used to format this stuff without making every new record a matter of hand editing according to the individual mod's ability (or lack) with the wiki, this might be more feasible.

Also, in terms of having the wiki automatically produce a Zerg Liste.txt or whatever, there are considerations as to the amount of per-page calculations and template inclusions allowed by the server. I know I've had this issue on UDWiki; there may be an easy fix but I haven't had a chance to look at it too closely.
F/Sgt MarcusFilby, RAF No 22 Squadron, C Flight [Wiki] (EST)

Linda Watkins

• Regular
  • Witch Hunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 06:24:49 AM »
*bump*

If somebody provides a template, I volunteer to do the work.

Linda Watkins

• Regular
  • Witch Hunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 02:17:41 PM »
There seem to be two basic approaches to zerg rapsheets.

One, take the current ZL and figure out how they came to be listed.

Two, start with the oldest records and work your way forward. This is probably more work, but it would yield a comprehensive record and in particular, it would make past zergs easy to spot.

I figure two is the way to go, but refactoring in excess of four years of forum posts in the ZL and appeals threads is a huge task. I'm motivated enough to get it started, but I doubt I'd finish it when going it alone. So, is anybody willing to pitch in?

Anime Sucks

• Go Fuck Yourself <3
  • Administrator
  • Shareholder
  • Retired: Will Only Answer Admin Questions.. Bitch!
    • My Video Blog and Coherent Ramblings
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 02:35:56 PM »
I think the willingness to pitch is is why its never gotten off the ground...

Dr Killdare

• Regular
  • Does anyone know where I left the top to my dress?
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »
This might be a good time to ask what the board plans to do about zerg listed folks for whom a report or IWit no longer exists.

And I'm not ignoring the question about Linda needing help with this project if she takes it on.  Let me get through the Holidays and trying to help my dad transition to living back at home after his long illness and I'll see if I can free up some time to assist if she still needs help.
Queen of Malice (Leader), Garniss Border Patrol
Scarletwood

This computer allows me to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and vodka martinis.

Quod dixi dixi....... (Cicero, What I have said, I have said.)

bisfan

• Regular
  • HAET BUS
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 04:52:35 PM »
I'd offer help, but I don't have reliable internet except from work...  :(

Prep

• Regular
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 05:07:47 PM »
If you had your own webspace, then you could create your own dumbwit database thingy and save all the data similar to the way the new RG works. In fact, we could probably use the exact same system.

Linda Watkins

• Regular
  • Witch Hunter
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »
Funny you should mention that. I thought of doing my own dumbwit clone.

The ZL could use something similar to the RG, i.e something database-driven rather than a wiki. This would also simplify data entry and perhaps make the lives of the mods easier. However, the evidence presented for zerg cases is often much more complex than a simple screenshot (*waves at Akule*) and not as straightforward to capture in a record.

Basically, the hard part is designing a system that's useful to ZHU as well as the general public. Data entry is just a grind.

Prep

• Regular
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 07:02:15 AM »
Well, it could use the exact same reporting system as the RG, except that the comment section would need to be a little bit bigger. It should work basically the same way. But yeah, moving old cases into the system would be tough.

Hypothetically, if we had a system exactly like the RG, then all we would have to do to really get started is input the current ZL into the database. We could then amend the 'reports' with the evidence and such as we move along/have free time. It would take ... forever, but it could work.

Linda Watkins

• Regular
  • Witch Hunter
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 08:04:03 AM »
Prep, it could something like the RG, but not close. I'm currently leaning towards a wiki and form(s) that fill in templates, but even that would be a make it up as you go process.

Anime Sucks

• Go Fuck Yourself <3
  • Administrator
  • Shareholder
  • Retired: Will Only Answer Admin Questions.. Bitch!
    • My Video Blog and Coherent Ramblings
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 08:30:03 AM »
I would love to see something on the RG, where you can go edit a account, checkmark them as a zerger, text rapist, what have you... then when reports come in with those people, they get auto-rejected. 

Linda Watkins

• Regular
  • Witch Hunter
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 09:21:50 AM »
I would love to see something on the RG, where you can go edit a account, checkmark them as a zerger, text rapist, what have you... then when reports come in with those people, they get auto-rejected. 

For this to happen, the RG needs to have an exception list like (alt, reason, effective from, effective until). Or the very least, a list of alts that are rejected as victims. Hmmmm.

Prep

• Regular
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »
Hmm, really we need a webspace to get anything started. There's plenty of free software out there, but we need to really put some time into organization. Perhaps a wiki page per zerg player with all their alts listed and evidence posted? This would be linked to the actual zerg list, so it could be easily searched. This same page would be UDWidget/UDTool compatible, which would reduce the amount of editing required. However, if we did use a wiki format, then how would we restrict who edits?