Author Topic: Radios!  (Read 10384 times)

Mike J West

• Refugee
Re: Game News June 1-Portable Radio
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 03:33:50 PM »
You can get a radio from a police station or a tech store. But better don't - listening to throngs of idiots talking utter and complete bullshit will make your brain rot. Or worse.

I blew one transmitter with my trusty shotgun today. Too bad they still have plenty of'em in the tech stores.

einexile

• Anti-Spam Group
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 04:14:57 PM »
I don't have a radio yet and I'm confused about all the mentions of spam. Don't you only get broadcasts from the frequency you've tuned the radio to?

If this is the case, can carry more than one and have them set to different frequencies?

Btw for anyone who hasn't checked, as usual a "formal" policy for broadcasting has been railroaded through in the first day on the wiki by five or ten people. If you care about that now might be the time to speak up.

Moria

• Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 04:17:24 PM »
Well, I have managed to hear streets is broadcastin. Isn't it nice to know that this is now going to be the new tool to cause the most spam. Forget spraycans, you can now spam your messages through the radio.

Smoked

• Regular
  • The "Edgy" One
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 06:18:28 PM »
2 topics on same thing merged for your convienence. ;)

Michelle Sim

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 07:38:48 PM »
Well so far its just spam. But in case it turns out to be useful in the end. Here is a link on the Wiki of the frequencies that people have already claimed. One day, and most of them have already been taken, and a couple are disputed too.

http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Radio#Known_Frequencies_Officially_Used

laserlight

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 09:45:05 PM »
I don't have a radio yet and I'm confused about all the mentions of spam. Don't you only get broadcasts from the frequency you've tuned the radio to?
Yes... but you might be tuned to a channel with enthusiastic wanna-be radio deejays.

If this is the case, can carry more than one and have them set to different frequencies?
I think so. I have set my radio to a different frequency from the radio transmitter in my area, and consequently have received from two different channels, if I remember correctly. Only have one radio though, and that has given me enough spam.

Reginald Armageddon

• Refugee
    • Dirtcreature's Lair
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 02:43:42 AM »
When I went to check on Reg to see if the barricades were holding, I found some idiot had typed the word "Spam" about 12 times then transmitted it. It's nice to know that if this somehow really happened, then people would be sending such sensible messages to advise other survivors. I know it's game but surely people musr realise that it maybe fun to send a joke message but that a thousand others are probably doing the same thing?

What at first seemed like a good idea has so quickly become a new annoyance. From radio hams to spammers...

twigler

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 03:32:21 AM »
Erhm?: 27.01 MHz - Voice of Kevan

The spam is pretty bad; he should have done it in such a way that everyone in the same location as the broadcaster gets a message "suchandsuch broadcasted this message over the radio:"
I assume a radio broadcast sounds the same as someone speaking if you're in the same building.
That would at least expose the spammers and maybe even stop a few.

Sirens

• Regular
  • Red Queen
    • Red Rum Forums
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 04:46:11 AM »
Erhm?: 27.01 MHz - Voice of Kevan

The spam is pretty bad; he should have done it in such a way that everyone in the same location as the broadcaster gets a message "suchandsuch broadcasted this message over the radio:"
I assume a radio broadcast sounds the same as someone speaking if you're in the same building.
That would at least expose the spammers and maybe even stop a few.

Turn on a CB Radio, switch it to a random frequency where people are talking, and then tell me the names of the people talking. :roll:  It would make more sense if it was checked with your buddy list.  "speech speech" You recognized the trans mitter's voice as xxxxx

Snuffleuff

• Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 05:05:07 AM »
YESSSSS!!!

Note my new sig file. 
My big question is, Am I the first??  I would so like to be the first to get branded an RK-er :)

My only regret is that I had to do this as a human, since some wandering moron had combat-revived me.  I would much rather have given it a good zombie smashing, but ah well... if they really want zombie players running around alive with crowbars and loaded shotguns, that's their choice, I guess... :D

Edit:  Bugger, I see that Mike West beat me to it and I missed that in his post.  Ah well.  At least I have something new to dedicate my zombiedom to.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:07:04 AM by Snuffleuff »
I've seen a bear do things, well... even things that even a bear wouldn't do.

Mr Hootington

• Citizen
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 07:24:54 AM »
And thus the server died. :chop:

Has anyone been on at a high traffic hour of the game to see if there is any major server lagging?

Reginald Armageddon

• Refugee
    • Dirtcreature's Lair
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 09:54:53 AM »
Christ, I never thought of the problems the broadcasts could do in terms of server lag.

But just look at the crap that's being sent out (this is for those how've yet to log in today)> And this is just the first few tranmissions!

26.00 MHz: "DARIS has returned to Shearbank. Multiple attacks and deaths" (exactly 6 hours ago)
26.00 MHz: "Repeat: DARIS has returned. Requesting immediate assistance." (exactly 6 hours ago)
26.00 MHz: "26.00 MHz! The place for plaice! Mmmm...love that plaice!" (5 hours and 58 minutes ago)
26.00 MHz: "RRF, Urban Bread here. 20, 26" (5 hours and 9 minutes ago)
26.00 MHz: "Chief!! Chief!! Come in Chief!" (5 hours and 3 minutes ago)
26.00 MHz: "testing testing, 1 2 3" (4 hours and 42 minutes ago)
26.00 MHz: "Broadcasting Live from Kempsterbank." (4 hours and 37 minutes ago)
26.00 MHz: "GAY ORGY IN KEMPSTERBANK, PLEASE BRING LUBE AND ETHER" (4 hours and 36 minutes ago)
26.00 MHz: "Look for club Tool Shed" (4 hours and 35 minutes ago)
26.00 MHz: "you guys are all queer" (4 hours and 35 minutes ago)

If peoples name aren't going to be added with their transmission so as to kerb random drool, I can see the radio being scrapped, either by Kevan removing it from the game or annoyed players smashing them up.

It's a shame so many people think they are being original by sending out jokey or just plain stupid transmissions.

laserlight

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 10:12:22 AM »
Ah, but now the question is: what zombie skill is up and coming? Or is radio a pro-zombie invention to induce human miscommunication? :)

John Ember

• Anti-Spam Group
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 10:46:54 AM »
I blew one transmitter with my trusty shotgun today. Too bad they still have plenty of'em in the tech stores.
I'm with you. Used a pistol myself. This may be the most misguided UD addition I've ever seen.

Snuffleuff

• Regular
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 10:49:34 AM »
Ah, but now the question is: what zombie skill is up and coming? Or is radio a pro-zombie invention to induce human miscommunication? :)

That was precisely my thought.  At first I was bugged that humans had gotten something cool yet again, but now it's obvious that this is a gift to zombies instead.  All humans get from it is annoyance and a new means to waste their AP, while zombies get a fun new thing to smash, with the added moral superiority of knowing that we're taking idiots off the air. 

Hmm.  Wish we could do this with some talk radio hosts...
I've seen a bear do things, well... even things that even a bear wouldn't do.