Author Topic: Radios!  (Read 10385 times)

Moria

• Regular
Re: Game News June 1-Portable Radio
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 11:46:35 AM »
After not being on for 14 hours and coming back to the mess of spam messages I think Kevan should make a nice little button that you can click to read the radio messages.

Gothy

• Anti-Spam Group
  • The Shoreditch Vampire
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »
This does strike me as being completely stupid......Kevan should have learnt the lesson from mobile phones.......

YuriRuler90

• Refugee
Game News - June 3rd -Radio Update
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 08:56:57 PM »
Since your last turn:

* Game News: Significant new game features have been added since your last move. Read Game News (1 second ago)

3rd June 2006

* Perhaps to prevent interference with their own communications, the military have altered their radio jamming in such a way that only experienced radio operators can broadcast in the 26.00-28.00 MHz band. The 28.01-29.00 MHz range has been opened up for free public use.

YuriRuler90

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 08:58:25 PM »
Check the update...

Moria

• Regular
Re: Game News - June 3rd -Radio Update
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 09:42:54 PM »
It was too cheap and easy to purchase. It won't really cut down on spam, it will only mop up some XP people have.

Michelle Sim

• Citizen
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 09:48:02 PM »
Moria is correct this will not change anything.

Moria

• Regular
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 09:51:38 PM »
Oh yes, in addition to that, the server will have even more stress since Kevan decided to add more channels where more people will spam. I keep repeatedly smashing those radios because they are purely annoying. It seems like every frickin building has one now.

Smoked

• Regular
  • The "Edgy" One
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2006, 09:59:52 PM »
ARGH! It's like communism. In theory-perfect. In reality, it turns into a spam war between trenchcoaters and tards.

Cowboy Up

• Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2006, 10:01:07 PM »
The CDF will be considering Radio Killers as bad as Generator Killers. Reason: The potential for a good use is there, but Spam needs to be smited down.

The update, did not fix that. All it did was give Spammers a dedicated "nameless" Spam Chat Room, and helped people like me, get rid of extra experience.

Put it this way, if Cowboy Up was freelance, Radios would be his first target in a room full of PKers. BUT, since I am not, Radios must be protected. Its an RP thing.... Sigh.

Mr Hootington

• Citizen
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2006, 10:03:56 PM »
At least I am level 39 now. :toot:

The CDF will be considering Radio Killers as bad as Generator Killers. Reason: The potential for a good use is there, but Spam needs to be smited down.

Well this isn't going to go over well. I for one will take out a radio if I log into my character with 7 pages of spam.

pesatyel

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2006, 10:13:13 PM »

That sounds like an Oxymoron (is that the right term?).  The radio has potential for "good use," but spam needs to be limited.  Killing a radio does that, doesn't it?  Shouldn't the focus NOT be on "radio killers" but on "radio spammers?"

Course, I don't know if THAT is possible....

Moria

• Regular
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »
I know a lot of people will be taking out these radios. I have to agree with Hootington, if I come back to seven pages of spam, that radio is being destroyed. That is especially happening if the radio is in some random building. I understand safehouses and malls, but if some jerk throws it into my room, that thing is being taken out.

Mickey6

• Regular
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2006, 11:16:29 PM »
Check the update...

I doubt the update will help much.  Everybody who has hundreds or thousands of xp built up will buy the new skill immediately (heaven help me, I did), and everyone else won't be too far behind. 

Hopefully, people will settle down when the novelty wears off.  My personal piss-off point is the people who broadcast to point out that the broadcasts are full of spam...thanks for the heads-up, jerkwad, never would have figured it out without you.  *shrug*  I can't whine too much, I'm guilty, too--about 50 ap's worth of Spamalot lyrics guilty. [edit] For which, I should make clear, I'm deeply sorry.

As for the guys on the wiki trying to set up "official" stations--good luck with that.  Honestly.  It would be great.  But most people aren't going to consult the wiki before broadcasting all the words you can't say on the radio, or bits of songs, or just the word 'spam' 500 times, on whatever channel the transmitter happens to be tuned to.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 08:40:35 AM by Mickey6 »

Neal

• Global Moderators
  • Shareholder
  • Zombie horde is bad, zombie horde on fire is worse
Re: Radios!
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2006, 11:35:32 PM »
The two radio topics have now been merged.
Thank you and have a nice day.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett

Snuffleuff

• Regular
Re: Radios!
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2006, 05:15:48 AM »
I've killed five radio transmitters so far.  I stand proud!  Honestly, the humans should thank us for this service (even if I AM a human at the moment, thanks to another combat-revive).

I can't see the addition of radio op as a skill as making the slightest difference, since so many of us have mountains of XP banked now.  I don't see any solution to the problem unless somehow it could be changed to requiring some sort of keycard access to broadcast, with cards only given out to authorized (sane, mature) individuals, perhaps by groups.  Or limiting the number of AP that anyone can spend per day doing broadcasts.  Dunno if that would help - on the one hand, if you only have 3 AP to use for broadcasting, you're more likely to try saying something worthwhile.  OTOH, it would probably just provoke a boom in 1st level alt creation for the express purpose of radio blither.
I've seen a bear do things, well... even things that even a bear wouldn't do.